Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Camera lessons at the Botanical Gardens

Recently I bought a new camera.  After much research (and interrogating about 5 photo-savvy friends), I decided on the Canon G12, a tidy little 4/3rds camera.  From what I can tell, it does a lot of what a DSLR would do, but it is compact and you don't have to buy expensive lenses.  Exactly what I wanted: a one-shot purchase that would help me take nice (but not necessarily professional-looking) photos.  I've enjoyed playing around with the apertures and ISOs, etc, but there's not a lot you can do at 9pm in your living room.  Pretty much all photos look like crap in that setting.

Enter the most beautiful place in St. Louis: The Missouri Botanical Gardens.

On a beautiful Saturday morning I went with my friend Sarah, who just so happens to be a professional photographer :)  Lucky me.  Here are some photos I snapped, and some lessons I learned.

Color gradient in shallow pool. Don't remember my settings on this one. 

China dragon!  

Twirling iron wind-catcher.  I was using a high aperature (low numbers? Is that right?) but there was nothing interesting behind the twirly gig to give it the "depth of field" I was wanting. 

Pretty pom pom flowers.  2.8 aperture + Auto ISO & T. 


"Macro" setting, high aperture. 

Man, this water fall was a doosey to shoot.  I wanted to focus on something still to get that fuzzy motion effect with the water.  But fast water + really bright light = HARD.  

I finally used the exposure compensation (-2) to get a better shot. 




No comments:

Post a Comment