Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tomato and Green Bean Quinoa Salad


I got into quinoa a couple years ago. I guess about the same time the rest of the country discovered it.  We love it.  As my husband likes to remind me every time I make it, "Did you know it's a complete protein!?" Why yes, baby, I did.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I told you that to begin with :)

I've made several variations of quinoa as both a side dish and also as a hearty chip dip.  But my favorite has to be this one.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
1 quart of cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup uncooked, rinsed quinoa
Balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
1. Rinse your quinoa twice.  Put in a sauce pan with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, over and simmer for 12-16 minutes.  Fluff and set aside.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, cut your green beans into 1 inch pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 4-5 minutes, until al dente. Drain. Set aside.
3. Once cooled, combine quinoa, cooked green beans, halved cherry tomatoes and 1/4 tsp. of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix in the feta.  Add about a TB of olive oil and a TB of Balsamic (more or less depending on your preference).  Mix. Refrigerate.
4. Serve as a side chilled or slightly warm.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment